Monday 17 October 2016

Naturally Battling Hormones




**This post first appeared on the All in a Drop website in 2015**
Anyone that follows my instagram feed will know that eight months ago I was diagnosed with PCOS - Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS), also called hyper-androgenic anovulation (HA), or Stein-Leventhal syndrome. It is one of the most common endocrine disorders among females. PCOS has a diverse range of causes that are not entirely understood, but there is evidence that it is largely a genetic disease. For me, this has provided answers to my continual struggle with weightloss and erratic hormones.
We have been trying to conceive for almost 18 months now and this diagnosis helped to provide answers to the 'why can't we?' However, it has certainly not been plain sailing. Knowing the cause is one thing, but sorting the effects of it is completely different. As I've said one of my problems is that I really struggle to lose weight, but this situation is exasperated by my PCOS. Needless to say it has really brought me down but this post is not all doom and gloom. 
A friend introduced me to Young Living Essential Oils a few months back and I can't tell you how much they have changed my family's life. We have taken a big leap forward with one of our kids bed wetting, I've managed to get better sleep due to stopping Tom's snoring and I've started to change all the harsh cleaning chemicals over to oils without worrying about the kids getting hold of them.

But here's a change that I can actually measure:

Back in March my hormones were tested through a blood test and my LH and FSH were recorded at 13 and 26. The 'normal' range is between 1&9 and 1&12. As you can see these results were far from normal - typical of someone with PCOS. I had another blood test at the beginning of this month and  got the results yesterday - they are at 6 and 7 respectively!!!!! I can't tell you how AMAZING this is, I've basically got normal hormones level again!
Now you're reading this thinking that's all well and good but how did you get there?

My answer is extremely simple. I changed my diet, cut out gluten and refined sugar, basically a primal diet, I started to lose weight, overall about 1.5st in three months. That sounds good, right ? but my weight loss really tailed off after about 7 weeks, with minimal weight loss since. I decided in August that something else needed to changed, so I switched to full-on Paleo. This has been tough, a complete mind over matter daily challenge. I used to be a prolific tea drinker, luckily no sugar but plenty of milk. This was and still is the hardest thing not to have. It doesn't help that we still have tea in the house for when people come round and also Tom still drinks tea, so it's not 'out of sight out of mind'.

I haven't succumbed to the temptation yet.

If you know of any good paleo friendly alternatives, please do shout!!

These changes have led to a further weight loss of 1.5 stone in 8 weeks - brilliant. I'm so pleased with myself. However, weight-loss alone like this would not bring my hormones back to normal so quickly. I mentioned essential oils earlier and I have found two that I believe have truly helped to balance my hormones. They are Endoflex and Progessence Plus. The first is for help with the endocrine system and the second is a form of progesterone derived from wild yam. I've used these each day for the last seven weeks (ish) and have seen changes to other horrible PCOS symptoms, including  facial hair !

I used to be plucking every 3-5 days, terribly self conscious of my face.

However, I have now not taken a set of tweezers to my face in almost 4 weeks...I'd say that's bloody brilliant!

These oils are truly amazing and the fact that they're entirely natural makes me all the more confident to use them.
UPDATE: They did come back after five weeks of no plucking, not as many as before and five weeks is amazing! 
Now, I haven't got the baby to show for all this hard work my body and I have been doing, but I am confident with the results I've seen both at home and from medical professionals that I'm totally on the road to having one soon! If I was drinking alcohol I would totally be raising a glass to my oils right now!

*UPDATE: In February 2015 my husband was diagnosed with a chromosomal abnormality, which has led to us not being able to conceive.*

I have written an eBook 'Balancing Hormones: Ten Natural Ways'. You can get this by joining our free Facebook community.
If you're interested in using essential oils for you and/or your family then read 'this, to start your Wellness Toolkit or feel free to contact me and start your journey to cleaner living.
What are your natural ways of dealing with your symptoms of PCOS?
You can also watch my Essential Oil and PCOS video here:

No comments:

Post a Comment